Microorganisms are omnipresent, and we all know that. Because of their presence everywhere and their multiple impacts on the environment, they make the study and research in the domain of microbiology a lot exciting and intriguing. The contribution of microbiology to the world has been immense. From medicines, dairy products and vitamins to vaccines, the impact has been there to all.
Aspirants who wish to learn everything about microorganisms and their impact on humans bodies should opt for a Bachelor of Science in microbiology. This post will give you all the required details about a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Microbiology. We have got everything covered for B.Sc. in Microbiology – Course, Eligibility, Admission, Career Prospects, Job Options and Benefits.
Check out everything in detail.
B.Sc. in Microbiology: Course Details
B.Sc. in Microbiology is a 3-year undergraduate programme. The course focuses on the study of microscopic organisms and their application in the research field. It deals in the study of various types of microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, viruses etc. The programme also helps students learn about diseases provoked by different bacteria or viruses.
Microbiology has its application in well-known fields like healthcare, government, agriculture, food processing, pharmaceutical, environmental conservation etc. The B.Sc. in Microbiology programme helps gain advanced knowledge about microbial life and acquire technical skills in the microbiology domain.
During the programme, aspirants will gain practical exposure through small research projects and internships. The study in the programme is carried on through scientific tools like microscopes, genetics and culture.
B.Sc. in Microbiology: Eligibility & Admission Criteria
The eligibility criterion for B.Sc. in Microbiology is:
- Students must have passed 10+2 from a recognized educational board.
- Students who have cleared 12th Science B-Group with a minimum of 50%.
The admission criterion for B.Sc. in Microbiology is:
- For some colleges, students get admission directly based on their merit. No entrance exam is needed, and all that is required is the qualifying score of the 12th class.
- For some colleges, students get admission based on the entrance examination given by the students. The entrance examination can either be on the national level, state level or college level.
While selecting a college, make sure to do your research on the college. Do not fail to check if the college gives admission on a merit basis or entrance basis.
B.Sc. in Microbiology: Career Prospects & Job Opportunities
The covid-19 pandemic has created a lot of need for microbiology courses and professionals. As microbiology involves learning about diseases and how to curb them, it becomes very useful in such unprecedented situations. Apart from this, students studying B.Sc. in Microbiology also have the scope to further go for overseas education.
Microbiology graduates can get jobs in the field of education, pharmaceuticals, government enterprises, hospitals, food processing industries, chemical industries, agriculture, research institutes etc.
Students that have completed B.Sc. in Microbiology can also work as a science writer by writing articles for a microbiologist. Some of the popular job options for a B.Sc. in Microbiology graduate are:
- Clinical Microbiologist
- Research Microbiologist
- Industrial Microbiologist
- Environmental Microbiologist
- Cell Biologist
Aspirants who have pursued B.Sc. in Microbiology can also go for a Master of Science in Microbiology. Through M.Sc., one can specialize in vast areas of study. All in All, B.Sc. in Microbiology opens the door to lucrative career opportunities. You can either go for postgraduate studies or a suitable job.
Benefits of Studying B.Sc. in Microbiology
- B.Sc. in Microbiology offers graduates with diverse opportunities in various fields like healthcare, laboratories, forensic sciences, pharmaceuticals etc.
- Students are free to go for further studies like a masters or PhD in Microbiology.
- Students who are interested in research or teaching have the opportunity to work in universities or institutes.
- Students have the opportunity to have well-paid jobs in both government and private sectors.
To conclude, a degree in microbiology has the potential to help aspirant build a flourishing career. In case you are planning to make your career in microbiology, then do check out B.Sc. in Microbiology from Marwadi University.
B.Sc. in Microbiology at MU aims to develop the required critical abilities of students through the guidance of expert faculties. Also, MU has advanced laboratories with modern equipment to conduct all experiments and meet industry standards.
Explore the world of microbiology at Marwadi University.